Tetrafusion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Progressive Music!!!

+2
Paul Moreau
Marta
6 posters

Go down

Progressive Music!!! Empty Progressive Music!!!

Post  Marta Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:13 pm

What do you think about progressive music ? What is the future of music generally in Your opinion? Is music going in progressive direction?
What is the main important for You in progressive music and in music generally? affraid
Marta
Marta
Admin

Humor : white and black:)

Back to top Go down

Progressive Music!!! Empty difficult question

Post  Paul Moreau Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:10 pm

progressive music will never become commercial. uhm, it's too difficult for non-musicians to be accepted. a lot of people who i introduced progressive music answered with their question if they could play anything but chaos, or they didn't understand the style...
but I do have the feeling that progressive music is more known, it's like Jazz will never be really commercial either, but everyone (or at least thinks) knows what jazz is. I think that one day, like Portnoy once said, the progressive music will grow bigger and bigger, like a bubble in this world. How else could Dream Theater reach 6th place in the uk sales?

THE ingredient for progressive music? I don't think it can be discribed...
first of all, it has to experiment with time signatures, or at least break free from the eternal 4 beat feeling. that doesn't mean all the time, but still enough.
second: Vocals are less then the instruments: lots of solo, and i think solo's played by two instruments at the same time.
third: drumgrooves have to be new, experimental
well, this is just my opinion, right Very Happy
Paul Moreau
Paul Moreau
TetraFan

Humor : knock, knock

http://www.myspace.com/paulmoreau

Back to top Go down

Progressive Music!!! Empty Re: Progressive Music!!!

Post  Marta Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:43 pm

I think that progressive music has very strong roots in classical music! so when people started their music impressions from classical music and hard work with playing education they can be more progressive than others. I think that progressive music accept most often sensitive people who has big imagination and very deep inside world. They hear a lot of sounds and they are not like chaos for them but like music picture!!
Many kinds of music mix with classical and experimental music, even death metal!!!! For sure it is a little in the top now!!! but not only! Progressive music needs a lot of skills!
Marta
Marta
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Val Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:26 am

Marta wrote:What do you think about progressive music ?

It kicks some serious ass when well crafted. But I'm a huge fan of non-progressive music too, so I can't really say anything else. Progressive music can also be fucking lame at times, just like any other genre, so... When it's good, it's good What a Face

What is the future of music generally in Your opinion?

Music is life and it simply cannot disappear – whatever they say. Just buy records and go to live shows ! Support the bands you love.

Is music going in progressive direction?

It always was... Progression is the very essence of music.

What is the main important for You in progressive music and in music generally? affraid

I only expect music to make me feel. Anything.
Val
Val
TetraFan

http://www.musicwaves.fr

Back to top Go down

Post  Jared Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:39 am

Popular music these days is stuff like Green Day....crap and repetitive (sorry Green Day fans).
Jared
Jared
TetraFan

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Moreau Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:47 am

totaly right!

It's hard to find music that has really been thought through! Music is GREAT when they have a meaning behind some chords.
I really hate it when people just play standard chords, just because they sound known...
Paul Moreau
Paul Moreau
TetraFan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ripley Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:09 pm

Progressive music is very wide concept. It's virtuosity and professionalism, complex and difficult music. Because of these features, it sometimes needs a lot of explanation - but is still music, to feel Cool I love how it mixes with other kinds of music, from psychedelic rock to even death metal (but power metal especially of course). It changes songs into compositions!
Future of music? Experiments! Mixing most different music kinds (country death metaaal!!! or not... Very Happy), creating the new ones, etc.
Is music going into progressive direction? Well, when I hear Tetrafusion, I must say yeah Cool
The most important thing in music is feeling. Artists must love their own music (!) and believe in it. Skills also are - to be able to express all the musical feelings, but they can't become more important than the feeling, passion and power bounce Very Happy
Ripley
Ripley
Admin

Humor : progpower 8)

http://myspace.com/ripleykr

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Moreau Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:31 pm

Ripley wrote: It changes songs into compositions!

agree!

Ripley wrote: Artists must love their own music (!)

Jup
Paul Moreau
Paul Moreau
TetraFan

Back to top Go down

Post  Marta Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:33 pm

Yeah!!! That's true. Good music in every kind can "be born"Smile with love only!!
A lot of bands want to be a progressive band now. They call themselves a progressive band but in fact they are not. They do it, cause it is more on top than before and it seems more interesting and professional for fans. It is not good idea for some bands to change direction in "pseudo - progressive" direction. They lose own sound and go into chaos sometimes and their music start to be strange....so reall true progressive sound of band is most often just from the beginning of the band in my opinion of course...
Marta
Marta
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:15 pm

I've heard a lot of people say (and I agree with them) that "prog' and "progressive" music are two different things. "Prog" music is like the generic "try to be progressive just to do it" with the typical power metal singer...which, I like and listen to a lot of, but it can be cheesy at times.

Our first album was a little bit on that side on some songs I'll admit, but the upcoming album is VERY much more "progressive" and a lot less "prog"...I think we're starting to find our sound, and from here on, we'll keep "honing" it.

Enough about us:

Progressive music simply means "changing music"...which, in my opinion, keeps it interesting.
Mark
Mark
Tetrafusion Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Moreau Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:18 pm

agree Wink
Paul Moreau
Paul Moreau
TetraFan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down